Pages

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Windfall Apple Pie


Happy September!

The weather has turned and we had two rainy days and nights. Some trees have yellow leaves that fly off into the wind. And for me, even though the calendars officially say something else, September marks the beginning of fall.

Ramon makes the perfect pie dough. Mine always seem to end up on the tough side, but his are always flaky, buttery perfection. So whenever I want to make pie, he's in charge of the dough.

With the cold weather and rain, and autumn's arrival tingling like a song in my heart, I knew it was time for apple pie. I used windfall apples, the ones that fall on the ground and tend to have bruises or imperfections. These are easily cut away, though, and what's left is tart, crisp apple, ready to be tossed with cinnamon and sugar.

This is the best apple pie recipe I've come across, and it's utterly simple and classic. It's an annual fall favorite in this home, and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!


Windfall Apple Pie
adapted from Country Living's Farmhouse Apple Pie

2 1/2 pounds apples (about 7 or 8) peeled, cored, and sliced into thin pieces
2 Tblsp all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar (I mix brown and white)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tblsp lemon juice

2 discs pie dough (We only used one for the pie pictured, and although we had to roll out the two halves real thin, it was enough...and delicious!)

Pre-heat oven to 375° (170°c)

Combine the apple slices with the remaining ingredients.

Place one half of the rolled out dough into a 9-inch pie pan. 

Pour in the apple mixture. 

Top with the remaining dough, pinch together the edges, and crimp them.

Cut vents into the top dough for steam to escape.

Bake for 50-55 minutes, until golden and bubbly.

Cool on kitchen counter until room temperature. Don't cut until fully cooled, or the juices will run.

Enjoy! And HAPPY FALL!



xoxoxoxoxoxoxo





9 comments:

  1. Dawn, this looks and sounds delicious, my mouth is watering. I too feel like we are already in fall, even though today was 101 here, I cannot wait for the cooler weather, and all the fall decorating and food that goes with it. I hope your little man is enjoying himself, cannot wait to see more pictures of him. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    Kristel

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks wonderful. Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you, September brings autumn and apple pies! This recipe looks wonderful but where is Ramon's pie crust recipe? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sue! We love Grandma's Pie Dough, from Country Living:
      http://www.countryliving.com/recipefinder/grandmas-pie-dough-3167

      Delete

  4. how did you know I had cropped from the ground my first fallen mele ruggini? (russet???). thanks for inspiration
    and happy september

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds lovely with all the spices - have some apples dropping already so shall go and try to find enough for a pie tomorrow I think:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious and Fall has definitely arrived here, too. Where do you go apple picking?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have an email address I can use to write you something? You can find mine on my website and answer to it. I'd love to hear from you. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails