Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Pumpkin Ravioli With Bacon Cream Sauce




While my mother was visiting in October, she took some leftover cooked noodles and threw them together with warm bacon and topfen, which is an austrian dairy product that is something like a fusion of cream cheese, sour cream, and cottage cheese. The result was delicious. She told me that she had based the impromptu dish on a Hungarian recipe from her childhood called Túrós Tészta. She remembered it being a side dish to fish, but it was certainly filling and satisfying enough on its own.

Traditionally the recipe calls for egg noodles, but when I saw a package of fresh pumpkin ravioli at the market a light bulb went off. Pumpkin, sour cream, bacon, and a cold autumn day. The perfect combination.

There are a few fantastic things about this meal: it's incredibly quick, very scrumptious, filling, comforting, and very versatile. My mom used leftover pasta, I used ravioli, and you can basically substitute any kind of noodle, from tortellini to gnocchi, or stick with the classic flat egg noodle.

Click on the Túrós Tészta link above for the Hungarian version, or follow mine. Either way, you will love the creamy, tasty result. 

Pumpkin Ravioli with Bacon Cream Sauce

1 package fresh pumpkin ravioli (or make your own if you're up for it)
Around 8 slices of smokey bacon, diced into small pieces
1 Tablespoon butter
2 cups sour cream 
Salt and pepper
Chopped chives for garnish

Cook the ravioli and drain.
Fry up the butter and bacon bits in a pan until bacon is glassy.
Remove the pan from the stove top.
Toss ravioli in the pan with the bacon.
Add 2/3 of your sour cream and toss quickly, just long enough to warm up the sour cream.
Divide onto serving dishes, sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste, add a dollop of sour cream, and garnish with chopped chives.

Enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. This looks AMAZING! I think I'm gonna "Pin" it to make at a later date and remember as I look through my board during my weekly meal planning. THANK YOU for sharing!! mmmm mmmm good. :) ><>

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe sounds delicious, I will be on the look out for pumpkin ravioli, although I love any flavored ravioli! You have an amazing taste in food, I tried your chicken paprikah, and my son loved it, he constantly ask for it. Thank for sharing your wonderful recipes with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow that sounds delicious. I had a gazillion eggs and made one batch of pasta and am intending on others, so this sounds like a good recipe to think about (so we're not just eating marinara every day).

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You seem to love cooking. Here is a site I suggest for recipes to try!
    http://www.bbonline.com/recipe/index.html

    It is innkeeper recipes from B&B's all over.
    Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Dawn....this is so fantastic!!! I love cooking with pumpkin ravioli!! I have recently become gluten intolerant, but my family just adores this particular pasta, so I will try this sometimee....how yummy!!!!!
    I hope all is well...
    xoxo
    Joann in CO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MMMMmmmmhhhh...so YUmmi
    Dawn your creative genius comes out in every area of your life...I Love it!
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI!!!! Dawn it;s sounds yummmmyyyyyy i would love to try this dish especially now that we are close to say goodbye to the fall :(....

    Have a great day ...:)
    Mary Chicago IL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhhh man, it's times like this that I hate being gluten-intolerant!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I followed your link here from Sharon Lovejoy's blog. This sounds like an *amazing* recipe and I think I just talked my husband into making it. Provided, that is, that he can find pre-packaged ravioli.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This recipe sounds wonderful. Please consider linking it up to my Thanksgiving Recipe Challenge Blog Hop here:

    http://mysimplecountryliving.blogspot.com/2011/11/thanksgiving-recipe-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice nice recipe! I 'll definetly cook it!mmmm....
    mammacarla

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks yummy Dawn! Bacon, pasta, sour cream, what is there not to enjoy!
    Love Morwenna xoxo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails