Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

potato leek soup


I bought lovely potatoes and slender young leeks at the farmer's market last Friday and knew immediately that I wanted to try making a creamy potato leek soup. It's perfect 'soup weather' now, a mix of wind, sun, cold, and rain showers. This soup is comforting, warming, and so delicious. Plus, I found a way to make a creamy soup without using loads of actual cream...the solution is so simple!





country girl's original Potato Leek Soup

1 pound potatoes*, peeled and cubed into bite-size pieces
2 leeks, washed of debris, sliced thin up until the dark green leafy part which you can save for stock; I used 3 leeks, because they were very thin and young.
6 cups chicken or vegetable stock I used water and buillon cubes
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper

Boil potato cubes in broth until tender, with a lid askew on the pot to prevent too much loss of moisture.
While potatoes are boiling, melt 2 tablespoons in a pan over medium heat. 
Add sliced leeks to butter in pan, sprinkle with a pinch of salt, and cook until soft, being careful not to brown.
When the potatoes are tender, use a slotted spoon to remove a little less than half of the potato cubes to a bowl.
Puree or mash the remaining potatoes in pot with broth until smooth. This gives the soup a wonderfully creamy texture, so that you don't have to add alot of cream!
Return the whole potato cubes to the pot, along with the cooked leeks.
Turn off the heat.
Add the cream. Stir to combine.
Add salt and pepper to taste.

Optional Addition: 
Fry slices of bacon in an ungreased pan until crisp; allow to cool on a plate; crumble over soup.

*click here to see the best types of potatoes for soup
...and HERE is where you can find the Typhoon scale in my photos, along with other really cute ones, on amazon.



As humble as it's ingredients are, and as simple as it looks, this soup makes me wish I would never get full just so I could keep eating it. It's that good.

xoxo country girl

18 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mm-hmm! Leek and Potato soup. I love it. My recipe varies slightly from yours, but hey, soups are best whichever way you want it, isn't it? :)

    an edit from comment posted earlier MARCH 3, 2010 3:40 PM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious, except what are leeks? What do they taste like?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I have never visited before, but I'll be coming back. I do love bloggers who share their inner beings. You clearly are one such person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy. You take such beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Rachel!
    Leeks are from the onion family. They have a mild onion-y flavor. You can read about them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leek
    Thanks for stopping by!
    xo country girl

    ReplyDelete
  7. The soup looks wonderful and I'm going to make some tonight. Nothing like a warm bowl of soup on a cold winter's night. BTW Is that your scale in the picture, it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum is all I can say to this. Yum, yum and once again YUM!! xoxo Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks absolutely delicious! perfect for this transitional winter-to-spring time we're having

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummm, I wish I was at your house yesterday. This is one of my favorite soups! Course I could eat soup everyday I think..ha

    Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!

    xoxo Gert

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Dawn..this looks so GOOD! I am making this....

    thanks for sharing it with us

    sending love,
    kary
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks scrumptious! I have never worked with leeks before but I just might have to make this for Spring. You take such nice photos and I'll admit I had to look at sweet new KIKI header before the soup post! :-) T/C!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is must cook, eat, and be nourished comfort soup. It looks delish.....creamy and warm in the picture.

    Thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have so many potatoes at the moment. I think I'm going to make this soup tonight. Looks so yum. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My favorite kind of cold weather soup!! It's chilly her in FL, so this sounds just perfect. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  16. YUMMM...How about trying nutmeg Schlagobers (whipped cream) as a topping...also very nice: chives with chive flowers which are lavender color...so nice:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks for sharing this recipe. it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails