Pages

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Wild Strawberries

"Doubtless God could have made a better berry than the strawberry, but doubtless he never did."
-William Alan Butler

They are like little rubies peeking meekly from underneath emerald leaves, these tiny bits of sweetness that taste like the marriage of the words June and Sunshine. And because they are so small, and you have to squat down to pick them, brushing the leaves aside to find them, they are something so special, so delicate and precious. You eat five and feel like it was a luxurious feast. Wild strawberries are a part of my daily diet now. Kiki lies in the shade and waits while I pick and snack, licking my fingers, my whole mouth filling with juice and seeds. I do always make sure to leave enough for the field mice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails