Pages

Monday, January 5, 2009

"Let us believe that God is in all our simple deeds and learn to find him there."
-A.W. Tozer


One of the reasons we moved to this village last August was the hill with one cherry tree right accross from our new apartment. In all seasons, and in every kind of weather, this one tree is a symbol of simplicity for me. Every time I look at it, I find myself taking a deep breath, centering, coming back to my core. It's a true blessing, that one tree on the hilltop.
I thought I would also add this photo of a hunter's lookout. You can find these scattered all around the forests of Austria, and despite their somewhat morbid reason for being, I find their rustic build charming. A bit like a tree house, but in the middle of nowhere. 
Kiki did some hunting of her own today, digging fervently at the mouse holes in the nearby field. This is the only time of year when the holes are so naked and vulnerable; the rest of the time they are safe below tall weeds and wild grain. The ground is practically frozen, so Kiki doesn't get too far down. I always hope she'll never catch anything, and with her short snout, she probably never will.
I'll have to take the Christmas Tree decorations down today, which is a sad event each year; placing the colourful balls and angels back in their boxes where they will wait eleven and a half months to be of use again. My solace lies in rushing to the florist and buying spring bulbs: narcissus, paper whites, and hyacinth. And a large bouquet of tulips. Then it doesn't feel like the end of the holidays, but like an ushering in of the new year, and all things delicate and fragrant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails